Sunday, February 11, 2007

Lovely, Quiet Weekend

Peanut's off visiting Mister this weekend. The house is very quiet, but that's not really a bad thing. I spent most of Saturday working on the promised take home baby set. I'm so happy to say the sweater and matching hat are finished. Photos soon, I promise. It's definitely a newborn size, so the little one needs to be little. While working on the set, I was able to catch up on some TV that I've been wanting to see but aren't exactly "Peanut friendly." I watched Dark Water, An Evening With Kevin Smith 2 - Evening Harder and The Magdalene Sisters. All were time well spent. I actually didn't finish Dark Water. I won't give anything away, but the bath scene at the end was getting to be enough for me...the phone rang and scared me to death and I turned it off. I think the whole storyline might have hit a little too close to home with recent life changes. Excellent movie, though. The Magdalene Sisters was really good. I had seen a documentary on the laundries in Ireland a few years ago. I hadn't actually planned on watching the movie, but it was starting on IFC just as I'd given up on Dark Water. An Evening with Kevin Smith was something I'd seen onDemand and had been waiting to rent it. I've had such a crush on him for years. Friends and I would load up on alcohol and spend Saturdays watching Kevin Smith movies (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy) while at CMU. It was well worth the wait. It was a 2hr Q&A session with him in London. It was really interesting. It also made me want to go back and (buy) watch all of his movies again....and it reignited my crush.
Friday, I had my 6 week checkup with my doctor. I last saw her the day I filed for divorce. My blood pressure was pretty high at that time and she told me if it was that high the next time I saw her, she'd be putting me on BP meds. My BP on Friday was well within the "normal" range. I was so relieved. It's amazing what stress does to your body. She was also thrilled with the weight loss. To celebrate, I visited Old Village Yarn Shop ** in Plymouth. I needed to stop by to get some coordinating yarn to go with the blanket of the coming home set. I also picked up a new row counter, a skein of Lorna's Laces, a bottle of my favorite lotion and Sensational Knitted Socks. Many people have recommended this book to me and I've had it in my hands to purchase before, but just hadn't. I know why people love it so much. It's a wonderful resource. Since I've done socks for Peanut already, I think the next pair will be for me. I'd forgotten about the beautiful heathered sock yarn I bought from Laura. I think that will be the next project. I've promised to finish some of my UFOs before starting them, though.

I'll leave you with cute Peanut photos...
In an effort to help keep her Baby Cousin happy, she resorted to silly faces.

Last Monday was her very first picture day at preschool. We spent a lot of time Sunday night trying to find just the right thing for her to wear. She was very opinionated in what she liked and didn't. We originally settled on an embroidered peasant top because I wasn't able to find a shirt to go under the cardigan she'd picked. Monday morning I found her white turtleneck and she was thrilled to wear her chosen cardigan. She just looks so grown up here! I can't until we get the photos back.

**Just a quick note about Old Village Yarn Shop. Previously, I'd discussed how much I disliked this shop. It was overwhelming to walk in to and the staff was less than pleasant. I have to say, they've done some major straightening up and the woman manning the store that day was incredibly nice. She said they're getting ready for a major reorganization of the store by gauge/weight rather than what they've got going on now. If you've had a negative experience with them before, I'd suggest going back again. I'm glad I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peanut does look so grown up in the photo. What a pretty sweater. Thanks for the review of Old Village Yarn Shop. I have not been in there in probably a year or so and had the same feelings the last couple of times I was in there. Based on your current experience, I'll go back again. Keep us posted on your UFO progress so you can start some socks for you.

Laura said...

Aww! Precious pictures of Peanut. Sweet little face. :)

So how was The Magdalene Sisters? If I am remembering correctly, that's a movie I've been wanting to see.

I'm looking forward to seeing how that sock yarn comes out!