Monday, May 23, 2005

CIC Vest

After four baby layettes in a row...I needed a break. Thursday night, I grabbed up the bargain bin Rowan plaid I'd bought and cast on for a Cozy In Cables vest. This is my first project with a yarn with such a high natural fiber content. It's pretty nice stuff. Of course, it was $8.50 a ball despite being in the bargain bin...it should be nice! As usual with clearance yarn, they only had a couple of odd colors left. I started the vest with a navy/fuscia twist and did the ribbing. Then I switched to a dk gray/lt gray twist for the body. Then switched back to the navy/fuscia for the garter stitch at the arm and rest of the vest. I wasn't sure how this would look, but I think it looks pretty good so far. The pattern is a real joy to knit. She did a wonderful job making things clear and easy to follow. I finished the front flap last night and am hoping to work through the back in the next couple days. I must admit this is my first cabling project. I've done cables before, but only on practice swatches and to say I've done them. I did do a C4B instead of C4F on one of the cables. It's ok, though. Just looks like an "s" floating at one point. All that matters is that it's made with love!

I picked up a cro-hook set on clearance at Walmart on Friday. I gave that a try Sunday night. It's interesting. Like crochet on speed. You use two balls of yarn at a time with it. I picked up two skeins of caron's simply soft in purple and varigated purple. After some more practice swatches, I may try a premie blanket using it. I'll keep ya posted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh cute little vest! I love knitting cables.