Thursday, April 07, 2005

Closet technophobe...

I work in the tech industry, so this is quite a shameful thing to admit. You'd think with a degree in technology and 5 1/2 years of experience in the field, I'd be full speed ahead on trying to figure out how the heck to post photos on this thing. I'm not. I'll get to it eventually.

What have I been doing? Certainly not finished up the last sleeve or the body of the blue baby sweater for Ms. Colleen...no, that would be too easy and relieve some pressure I've put upon myself. Instead of being good and finishing a project, I decided to try my hand at something totally new...sock knitting. I guilted the Mr. into making his debut solo appearance in a craft store to purchase me a set of bamboo DPNs and sock yarn. I was on the phone with him from the second he pulled into the parking lot until he was in the checkout line. He kept repeatedly saying, "The only men in here are old men who are just following their wives around!" One of said ladies chuckled at this and began to chat with him. He was quick to explain why a manly plumbing man as himself would be in such a place. Secretly, I know he loved it. He loved the attention and feeling like he was doing something wonderful for his wife. I know that if he could be assured no other living person would ever find out, he'd ask me to learn to knit. Of course, he'd never admit that...but I know.

Ok, so back to the sock...He bought me the magic stripes yarn I've been repeatedly visiting and saying "just too much to spend on a single skein of yarn". But when he buys it for me, it's a gift and not me blowing cash on yarn I do not need. He even got to pick the color and went with the jellybean stripe. It's definitely colorful and festive. I love the bamboo needles. I get a good feeling from them. I'm pretty loyal to metal needles and do all that I can to avoid plastic, but I like the bamboo. I actually found the metal DPNs to be a little too slick with the yarn. Almost felt like trying to herd cats for the first 2" until I switched needles. I have to get into a good rhythm with the DPNs to really enjoy the knitting, though. The first few rows always feel kind of awkward and pointy, constantly jabbing myself but after that...I get a rhythm going and it's good. The socks are for Peanut, which mean they are tiny. Maybe a bigger sock would help with the clumsiness and cat herding feeling...or maybe it would just exaggerate it. Really, who knows?

Really looking forward to Saturday. We're heading up to Fenton to drop me off to spend some quality girl time with other Chippettes. The other two aren't as adventurous as I am with knitting, so we're going to work on that. We'll be visiting their first LYS - Elaine's Yarns, I think that's it. We'll also be having lunch and making fancy dishcloth/hot pads. I will try and persuade them to try their hand at the five hour baby sweater. I think they both have a phobia of pattern reading. I, on the other hand, consider just reading patterns a hobby. I'm weird like that, though.

News on the Peanut...she is walking! Not just walking but trying to walk fast. I love to see her trying to get up steps with that little white leather walker raised. Almost brings a little tear to the eye...almost. Walking is opening up a whole new world...a whole new world where once she wanted to be picked up and carried and has now been replaced with LET ME WALK!! She got angry the other day because I refused to allow her to walk in the street. I know! What a horrible mother to not allow her child the joy of wandering into a street. Shot got over it when I showed her the wonders of an empty diet coke (with lime) bottle in the car. Kid's got a thing for empty drink containers. I don't get it, but it keeps her from whining/yelling/screaming/crying in the car.

Speaking of walking...To show our appreciation for the March of Dimes and all the wonderful things they do for premies (ours included) we've formed Team Lainey to walk at Hudson Mills this year on May 1st. Our tiny Peanut was 7 weeks early and benefited greatly from their research. We can't thank them enough for the miracle that tears through our house and our hearts. That's why we walk!

No comments: