Thursday, June 23, 2005

Unsettling Lunch

Note...this message refers to Friday, but life got in the way of posting it.

By the time lunch rolled around today, I was ready to get out of the office. I planned on making a quick trip to the "big" Walmart by our house and hitting the LYS for new needles. I've heard so much about the Walmart yarn stock that I had to check it out at another store to see if the one I hit before was just a dud.

Second time around, still not impressed. Ok, maybe impressed if I'm looking for a large selection of red heart. Or maybe, fun fur. I'm not in the market to purchase either of these at the moment. I did wind up with four skeins of Bernat Cottontots. 2 skeins of Sunshine for a previously commissioned baby sweater (the little guy lives in Florida) and 2 skeins of Strawberry to make a dishcloth preemie blanket. Now, don't think it's the normal diagonal blanket, because it's not. I'm not going to ruin the fun or jinx myself so that's all I'm gonna say about that. I did pick up some new crochet hooks. I was missing an F and G from my set and I grabbed some newer larger ones as I do not have these at all. I picked up a few other things to send as a gift, but that person does check in on this little blog from time to time..so we'll just not mention those.

On to the LYS! I arrived already running late to get back to the office. I was armed with the gauge and suggested yarn for this . My friend Steph's lil miss will be 1 soon and I thought she'd be particularly cute in this come Fall. Well, the yarn called for is $7.50 a ball. I would need 2 - 3 balls. Now, don't get me wrong..I adore Steph. I love lil Miss...but being the mom of a toddler, I know that knit hat will be in the mud and snow and rain. Hardly appropriate for Debbie Bliss cashmerino. I asked the nice lady at the LYS to help me find a suitable replacement. She asked why and I explained I'd rather not spend $20+ on a toddler hat. She actually said, Your friend isn't worth $20? Um, excuse me? My friend would appreciate a lovely yarn that wears well and washes beautifully. She's not a knitter, so she will be more impressed with any item I send..even if it's in Red Heart economy super saver. She reluctantly lead me over to a Plymouth yarn that was an acrylic/wool blend but seemed disgusted I didn't want the Debbie Bliss. I think I'm done with this LYS except for extreme emergencies. This isn't the first time I've been treated poorly because of acceptance of acrylic fibers. I will take my acrylic liking dollars elsewhere.

No comments: